The gripping saga of Fishgate 2009 has dominated sports shows, message boards and conversation since the the beginning of the summer. With kick-off now two days away (and less than that if you’re a Gamecock fan), what will we debate about next?
Let’s see if we can take a moment to rank our off-seasonÂ black-eyes…
1. First, the textbook ruling. Though theÂ players involved were suspended as soon as their transgressions were discovered in ’07–and the NCAA subsequently cleared them to play–we were forced to vacate a ton of wins dating back to 2005. Appeal pending, this was hands down the worst news of the off-season.
2. Fishgate. Anytime your best offensive weapons’ eligibility is in question, it’s a bad day.
3. Brandon Deaderick. Not funny when anyone is shot. But the line of the week came from my brother-in-law who told meÂ Deaderick was shot by a booster, and the NCAA was investigating as to whether or not the bullet could be considered an impermissable gift.
4. Courtney Upshaw. Dude was defending himself against a crazy, enraged girlfriend. He crossed the line, but how many of us have been in the crosshairs of a crazy woman? Holla.
5. Glen Coffee announces he’s going pro. I didn’t see it, I admit. But turns out it was a good decision for Glen. Good for him, and one Trent Richardson and Eddie Lacy later, even better.
So give me your best bets on what we’ll see next. Personally I’m glad the silly season is over, and football can now begin. But if there was another story to brew, what would it be?