Wake up Auburn and Tennessee fans. You are all babbling about coaching changes, but why? It isnâ€™t like you are going to get a better coach. You are after-thoughts. The SECâ€™s current version of Mississippi Stateâ€”you are irrelevant. Nobody worth anything would want to coach you. You are stuck with who youâ€™ve got. Or you might wind up with worse.
1. Everyone in coaching remembers the horrible way you treated Terry Bowden. Sure, Bowden might have deserved what he got, but the way you handled it during the middle of the season made your program look like a joke.
2. Jetgate. Auburn fans love to ridicule Alabamaâ€™s boosters. Guess what? Your boosters are worse. Our boosters were able to run off a coach they didnâ€™t want in Bill Curry. Your incompetent, but meddling boosters shoot blanks. They couldnâ€™t get rid of the coach you all want to fire today. Pathetic. And football coaches know it. They know if they donâ€™t kiss Pat Dyeâ€™s hand and genuflect to Colonial Bank, they will just get harassed at Auburn until the rabble agrees with your dysfunctional boosters. What coach worth anything would want to go there and deal with that?
3. Coaches are afraid of Nick Saban. I know you donâ€™t want to admit itâ€”but there it is. Coaches donâ€™t want to have to recruit and play him every year. He gets coaches fired. Tommy Bowden? Toast. Phil Fulmer heading out the door. Tommy Tuberville? Wishes he were duck hunting. Les Miles? Already soiled himself.
1. Unrealistic expectations. Coaches see Fulmerâ€™s record of successâ€”Heâ€™s won a national title and won over 70-percent of his games. He doesnâ€™t deserve to be fired and every coach in the nation knows it. Why go coach a place where fans are so unrealistic as to expect to beat Florida, Georgia and Alabama on a regular basis? It isnâ€™t going to happen. Deal with it.
2. To be in the SEC you need recruits. Are there any recruits in Tennessee? If so, why does Fulmer spend so much time in California? Tennessee doesnâ€™t have a good recruiting baseâ€”and without the players who can win. Why go to coach the Vols when you could find the same problems with less pressure in other jobs in the SEC (Ole Miss, Miss State, South Carolina, etc.)?
For that matter why even coach in the SEC? Even agent Jimmy Sexton says the hot name for Auburn and Tennessee fans, Butch Davis, isnâ€™t going to happen. The superagent was quoted by the Birmingham News columnist Kevin Scarbinsky as saying Davis would likely remain at North Carolina.
“I think Butch Davis will be at North Carolina for a long time,” Sexton said during Monday’s speech to the Birmingham Touchdown Club. “I don’t know that. He’ll have to make that decision.
“I do think that’s a place you can win at, and the ACC isn’t nearly as hard, at least right now, as the SEC.”
In other words, thanks but no thanks.
Have fun firing your good coaches and ending your search with some no-name assistant.
(It seems like Iâ€™ve heard all those arguments before. Nice to be able to use them…)