Slower news cycle this week

M y mom had a stroke early Saturday. The prognosis is uncertain. She has received excellent care at Brookwood Hospital, but the unknown is greater than the known. The neurologist has been realistic, but encouraging. What the future holds, is in God’s hands.

Sitting in the ICU waiting room, the mind wanders. The thoughts of how I shouldn’t have talked my mom into a healthier desert instead of the cheesecake she wanted on Friday night, and how I should’ve done more to help her with some task over the years, run through my head.

One thought kept running through my head all day Saturday and Sunday: When I am weak, then am I strong.

It seems like a contradiction; but so much of life is.

But how can that be true?

It came into focus as the doctors streamed in and out of the room.

I’m not a doctor; however, I need a doctor’s knowledge and experience.

I have a deficiency of knowledge, a weakness. If I’m willing to admit it, then I am made stronger—it gives a loved one a chance at life.

Of course, we all can admit that weakness. We want to live. But it is the same with the acquisition of any type of knowledge. Unless we are willing to listen to others, we can’t gain wisdom.

When we are strong (or at least think we are), we do more talking than listening. I can’t think of much I’ve learned while talking, but the knowledge gained while listening would be substantial.

I can’t say that I’m as willing as the Apostle who also said, “I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches…” But we wouldn’t know ourselves—our humanity—without moments of weakness. We wouldn’t know our limitations, and our need to know the Infinite.

Maybe spending more time in prayer, and less time reading sports news over the last few days will do me some good.

Oh well, this started out as a short note and I’ve prattled on longer than intended. That’s the danger of a blog. You start writing, and suddenly what you have written—isn’t short.

I just wanted readers to know they can expect regular (but slower) news updates in the coming days, probably with less sarcasm. I’ll also get our columnists items posted, but that schedule will be a little slower too.

21 Responses to “Slower news cycle this week” Subscribe

1. stuartmark June 8, 2008 at 8:29 pm #

God bless to your mother and you. I will say a prayer for strength for the both of you.

Stuart

2. Kevin June 8, 2008 at 9:43 pm #

Cappy,

Football smack talk aside…good wishes to you and your mom. I’ve been “there.” You’ll find the strength reserves to deal with whatever comes your way. Hang tough.

3. U of A MySpace June 9, 2008 at 12:13 am #

Cap,

I’m saddened to hear about the unfortunate news. Take as much time off as you possibly can. You’re not obligated to keep your fellow fans informed on an hourly basis, so don’t bother with it. We fully understand and please know that we are behind you 100%.

God bless your mother and yourself. I’ll be sure to keep you guys in my good thoughts and prayers. Just be strong, my good friend. God will undertake.

4. FinebaumJunkie June 9, 2008 at 12:24 am #

Yeah,all kidding aside this Barnie will be praying for you.

5. Bama Fan In N Y C June 9, 2008 at 12:41 am #

Capstone, I don’t personally know you, nor have I ever met you (at least I think not). But what you do for us is out of sheer generosity.

In return, I, along with the rest of the crew (Bammers and Barnies), would like to say a prayer for your mother, in hoping that she fully recuperates from such an unexpected sickness. Always remember to never lose the hope or the faith, regardless of the circumstances.

Please don’t blame yourself and don’t hesitate to take as much time off as you desire.

God bless you and yours! Roll Tide Roll!

6. Greg June 9, 2008 at 1:15 am #

Thinking and praying for you and your mom.

7. tmc1 June 9, 2008 at 5:54 am #

I am sorry Cap.
    I hope things work out for the best for you.

8. auburn77 June 9, 2008 at 6:22 am #

Hope it all works out for you and your Mom. Just pray with her and talk to her as much as possible.

9. julio June 9, 2008 at 8:15 am #

Your mother and your entire family are in our thoughts and prayers Cap.

10. Al C. Hemist June 9, 2008 at 8:31 am #

Cap,

I hope everything goes well with your mom. God bless.

11. mike June 9, 2008 at 9:13 am #

Cap-

My prayers go out to you and your family and I wish your mom a healthy and speedy recovery.

12. Shannon June 9, 2008 at 9:24 am #

I just wanted to add my prayers and wishes for a full recovery for you mother. Keep your head up and know that we’re all with you!

13. Auburn Trailer Trash June 9, 2008 at 10:13 am #

Ditto on all the prayers. Know that you are being lifted up and that whatever happens is God’s will and that He will see you through to better days.

14. Dave(not that one, the other one) June 9, 2008 at 10:17 am #

Cap, i’m so sorry to hear about your Mom. I’m sure all your readers will be praying for her. I will say this, it does a guys heart good to see that though we may not like the same sports teams, we can all come together to pray/send good wishes/whatever to someone in need of such a thing. Perhaps the world is not such a dark place after all…

15. TideDruid June 9, 2008 at 11:56 am #

God bless your mother and your family. I hope everything works out.

16. capstonereport June 9, 2008 at 12:31 pm #

Thanks for the kind notes. I know my mom appreciates the prayers as much as I do.

17. Dr Mos June 9, 2008 at 7:42 pm #

My family and I have you and your mother in our prayers.

18. rhYno June 9, 2008 at 8:35 pm #

We’re ALL keeping your mother in our thoughts and prayers, sir.

19. 007 June 10, 2008 at 7:13 am #

Very sorry to hear about this, Cap. I will say a prayer for your mother and yourself.

Hang onto the rope!

20. Lee June 11, 2008 at 10:26 am #

Sorry for you both CAP and GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS I will say my prayers for you and your MOM

21. Christopherson June 12, 2008 at 9:01 am #

I’m very sorry to hear this. Please keep a positive mindset and keep us posted on her status as I hope she wins the battle.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

%d bloggers like this: